Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Oliver Sadie's Mass Soundcloud Composition



This is a bit out of the ordinary from my regular posts - except that I love it. Even more striking than the song itself is how it was composed. I would tell you, but I think Oliver Sadie does a much better job...

"This track is the result of an experiment in crowd-sourced composition, a large SoundCloud-based idea collaboration. On 8th July 2011, I released a piano improvisation and invited you to compose something over it through posting timed comments as idea prompts: Exactly one month later, 8th August 2011, I present to you the finished article, the result of going through each and every comment you made and making a compositional decision from it..."



 SoundCloud Sinfonietta: You Composed This


By the way, if you're wondering, Soundcloud is a website where artists can upload music and interact with other artists/fans. The players I embed are almost always from Soundcloud and he's referring to the comments you see pop up as the track plays. This is creativity and brilliance on another level. If you're curious, here's the original track (which was improvised to begin with):

   [SoundCloud Mass Collaboration seed track. Please see description] by Oliver Sadie 

No comments:

Post a Comment